Monday, October 18, 2010

Breaking Away...Breaking, A Way Back

More than a few people thought it might be a good idea to write about events and experiences around breaking my arm.  Some might just want to hear horror tales from the Canadian health system, cautionary stories about bikes or are merely curious. Nonetheless here we go.

We had planned to stay home (instead of camping the Labour Day weekend as last year it was a prime time to get calls from new students. As it turned out there weren’t many calls but is neither here nor there. On the Saturday after dinner we elected to take our new dog Elly May out for a walk. It was I who suggested and then insisted we take our bikes.

Now tying my dog to my bike to get them a good run is something I have been doing for over 30 years and  3 dogs. It’s something we have seen many people doing and never thought dangerous.

As well I am no risk taker when it comes to my money makers (hands folks I’m talking about my hands). I won’t toss football around with anyone unless they can throw a spiral and are not trying to replay the super bowl. I don’t stick my hands in scalding dish water, use sharp knives and I always use gloves whether oven mitt, or the work variety.

So up the street we go, me pedaling faster to get to the dogs top speed around 20 kph. But I can see it all in slow motion now, one fire hydrant seems closer the the sidewalk then all the others...wait, is the dog going to go on this side or the other...no she is going the wrong side...I’ll hit the brakes...too late the bike stops dead and I keep going.

I hit the ground 7-8 feet from where the bike stops, on my elbow and heard the crunch. I knew immediately that I had broken it. Looking at the bulging elbow and feeling the searing pain confirmed it.

My family watched this unfold in front of them and were on the scene. My wife ran back (yes left her bike there and ran) back the ½ block to our house to call an ambulance.

It only took 20 minutes for them to arrive but it seemed an eternity. Not only because of the pain and the mosquitoes feasting on me but it was time I spent reviewing my music life and future. It was a time where i saw with great clarity what was important in my life. Now this may seem a little dramatic for a mere broken arm and I agree as I have tried to keep that in perspective I suppose, but at the same time it was a life changing event. I lay there wondering if I was going to play music again or if I was would I be limited in some way. To music people whether full time pros like me or those that ‘play’ at music, hurting your hands is our greatest nightmare

Next up, my entry in the Canadian health system in a big way.
Winnipeg Recording  Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment